top of page
  • Writer's pictureRiley Gettens

Abandoned Vehicles Policy

The Regional District covers 10,400 km2 and has no authority on the administration or regulatory enforcement of Highways, Road Rights-of-Way, Forest Service Roads Crown Land or Indian Reserves.

The growth in the number of abandoned vehicles in, or adjacent to, our unincorporated communities is problematic and the numbers and types of complaints registered with the RDOS Bylaw Enforcement Branch is growing.

There is overlapping, missing or often confusing, jurisdiction on enforcement authority or responsibility in these cases. The RCMP, Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure (MoTI) and Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations (FLNRO) are the main contacts.

In order to clarify, the RDOS has put together the following.

Abandoned Vehicles on Crown Land and Forest Service Roads

The RAPP line is the tool for reporting abandoned vehicles on Crown Land, including Forest Service Roads. You can reach RAPP in the following ways:


Abandoned Vehicles on Roads and Highways

Complaints about abandoned vehicles on a road should be referred to the RCMP non-emergency line at 250-492-4300. Towing/Ticketing abandoned, unlicensed vehicles and illegally parked vehicles on a road is under the authority of the Motor Vehicle Act and enforced by the RCMP.


The Role of the RDOS

The RDOS Illegal Dumping Program does not cover the cost to remove refuse or abandoned vehicles. The program is designed to cover the landfill fees for refuse collected in a community clean upon crown land.

Derelict vehicles, trailers, or anything with a VIN number can not be accepted at the landfill.

The Regional District encourages and supports community clean-ups where possible. If you are interested in organizing a clean-up of an illegal dumpsite, contact the RDOS in advance to ensure proper procedures are followed by:

  • Call 250-490-4203 or toll free 1-877-610-3737 or e-mail to learn about the program.

  • Bags and gloves for the clean up can be provided.

  • The RDOS Illegal Dumping Tipping Fee Waiver can be filled in electronically. Please save to your computer before filling out.

  • Email the completed Waiver, and photos of the illegal dumpsite to

  • Wait for the completed form before hauling to landfill. The RDOS must sign a copy of the waiver and this waiver must be presented with each load of illegal dumped waste brought to the landfill.

Thank you for reading. If you have any questions, please let me know.



Riley Gettens, Director Electoral Area "F"

250-488-0246 |


bottom of page